Are you an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living and or working in the UK?

If you want to continue living and working in the UK after 31 December 2020 you will need to apply to the EU settlement scheme (EUSS), even if the UK leave with a deal or with no deal.

Under the scheme, successful applications will be granted either settled or pre-settled status. Which status you get depends on how long you have been living in the UK when you apply. With either status you can continue to work in the UK, use public services like the NHS, and access to public funds such as pensions.

When you can apply

The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply now if you meet the criteria.

The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Who cannot use this service

You cannot use the online service to apply to the scheme if you’re not an EUEEA or Swiss citizen and you’re applying as:

  • the family member of a British citizen you lived with in Switzerland or an EUor EEA country that is not the UK
  • the family member of a British citizen who also has EUEEA or Swiss citizenship and who lived in the UK as an EUEEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship
  • the primary carer of a British, EUEEA or Swiss citizen
  • the child of an EUEEA or Swiss citizen who used to live and work in the UK, and you’re in education – or you’re the child’s primary carer

Call the EU Settlement Resolution Centre to find out how to apply. You’ll be asked a few questions over the phone before you’re sent the application form.